Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Broiled Salmon


This recipe changed my take on seafood.  It came from one of my roommates in college.  There once was a time where I thought shrimp was the only seafood I would eat.  I got home from the Library one night, the one with the books not beer, just as she was pulling this out of the oven.  It smelled great, and as she offered me some, I only took a small bite thinking I didn't like salmon.  I loved it!  I asked her how hard it was and she assured me it was very easy.  I've made this multiple times through the years, modifying it here and there...you know, reducing the butter and sugar, and upping the alcohol, and have loved it every time.

This year, Raymond and I both had late nights on Valentines Day.  I ended up having to work later than I originally expected, and he was coaching.  I got home just in time to mix up the marinade, go for a quick run, shower, and then take 10 minutes to cook this and make a root vegetable whip as Raymond called to tell me he was on his way home.  I pulled it out right before Raymond walked through the door and happy Valentine's to us!

Ingredients:

1 lb salmon, cut for servings
3 Tbs butter, melted
3 Tbs brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs bourbon
1 Tbs worchestire sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:

Cut your salmon into desired portions if it is not already done.  Usually I will cut mine into 4, but since I knew it would be late when we ate I cut this into 5 servings.

Place all ingredients in bag and add salmon.  Let sit for 20 minutes or more if you have time.

Place salmon on broiling pan.


If you throw some asparagus with some salt and pepper and a drizzle of lemon juice on the pan with the salmon, it will all be done at the same time.  Salmon and asparagus are both considered super foods, but when you them together something magical happens.  Basically the folate from the asparagus works well with vitamin B12 found in salmon, making the whole meal a super combination!

Broil the salmon for 5-6 minutes, depending on the sizes of your salmon pieces.

Turn the oven on 400 and finish cooking the inside of the salmon for about 3-4 minutes.


Enjoy with the one you love!


Amanda's Tips:
I would err to the side of under cooking the salmon vs. cooking for longer than you would think.  It is okay for the salmon to be a bit undercooked, which is always better than dried out salmon. Raw salmon is a super-healthy food.  It is what is used for sushi.  To enjoy your salmon raw it is good practice to freeze the fish first. This kills any unwanted organisms and makes the fish totally safe for raw consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment